School health services staff can help all students with preventive care such as flu shots and vision and hearing screening, as well as acute and emergency care. Qualified professionals such as school nurses, nurse practitioners, dentists, health educators, physicians, physician assistants, and allied health personnel provide these services.
For students with chronic health conditions, school nurses and other health care providers play a large role in the daily management of their conditions. School health services staff also are responsible for coordinating care by communicating with the student’s family and health care providers so that they can stay healthy and ready to learn.
Support students’ educational success by providing whole-child health and wellness within the school setting. Advocating for the physical, mental, and social health needs of students. Working closely with families and the community in supporting students’ optimal educational outcomes.
Provide optimal student health, safety, and wellness of all students and to promote best practices in health through professional development and quality resources.
- Caring: Demonstrating concern and kindness for students, colleagues and families.
- Integrity: Uphold and remain true to the mission & vision of the department, while maintaining excellent values, ethics, honesty and dedication to the students that we serve.
- Collaboration: Working together with internal and external partners to communicate, share ideas and resources to ensure students are safe, healthy and ready to learn.
- Health & Wellness: Promoting good health and reducing risk of disease with a holistic approach, which considers many factors, including physical and emotional wellness.
- Teamwork: working together towards a common goal. Ensuring students are Healthy Career Ready Graduates.